14 Sep 2020 PSEC Mtg

September 24, 2020

14 Sep 2020 PSEC Mtg Minutes

PSEC Mtg via WebEx

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Charles Beard AIAA

Luis Leon ASM

Sam Gheesling ASME

Carmen Cejudo ASHRAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Paul Grant ASCE

Matt Clegg SME

George Bondor SAE

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting to Order at 6:05

Approval of Agenda

Approved with one addition “Covid 19 considerations” after Approval of Minutes

Approval of Minutes

Approved. George will attempt to get them out sooner

COVID19 Considerations

Lengthy discussion

PSEC meetings to continue on WebEx until state puts Seattle into phase 4 (possibly phase 3) 

Engineering Banquet and Engineering Fair postponed until fall of 2021 (earliest). Solicitations for awards and venue reservations initiated in spring of 2021. All contingent on how well COVD19 is controlled.

Mentor program on hold. Luis to contact schools for input. Early 2021 possible contingent on state upgrading of phases.

SME is planning virtual seminars for students graduating in June 2021

Around the room

Each attendee reported on how their societies are coping with COVID19. Most are diving into virtual activities including monthly member meetings

Treasurers Report

Dave reported we have received the benefits of Luis’ efforts to get employee volunteering reimbursement from Boeing. Bank account balance is approximately $1300.

Calendar

Skip

Website update

Dave has not had much luck getting a volunteer to takeover webmaster duties. He will continue in that role until we have a volunteer

Engineering Fair

Paul Grant to contact ASCE student group to determine what their intentions are concerning scheduling of the popsicle stick bridge competition

Banquet

Postponed until fall 2021 (earliest)

Mentor Nights

Postponed until state upgrades phases. Luis to contact schools to get their input

Intersociety Workshop

Postponed until state upgrades phases

Action Item Review

Luis to contact schools concerning Mentor nights

Paul to contact ASCE student group concerning intentions about scheduling popsicle stick bridge  competition

Kathi to contact Andrew Gall to determine if he still on for President of PSEC

Swearing in of 2020-2021 officers

Postponed to next month

Adjourned at 7:05

Next Page »

1 Jun 2020 Mtg Minutes

September 10, 2020

PSEC via WebEx due to COVID 19 

1 June 2020 

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE

George Bondor SAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Charles Beard AIAA

Dave Butcher IEEE

Regina Long ISE

Luis Leon ASM

Sam Gheesling ASME

Eugene Brown ASME

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting or order at 6:02

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of May meeting minutes

Approved

Treasurer Report

Dave Butcher reported that late checks for the banquet have been received. We are stil not quite at the break even point. A sponsor is still needed.

Website Updates

Dave requested we send any suggestions for the PSEC website appearance improvements to him

ISOW

Due to COVID 19  group ageed to defer the next ISOW until June  2021

2020-2021 officers

Andrew Gall has agreed to be chairperson. 

Open Discussion

Luis has located the Boeing weblink that give instructions on how to obtain support. With our 501C3 qualification he will attempt to sign us up.

Kathi will contact Razzis to reserve room for 14 Sep 2020 meeting (if open)

Adjourned at 6:43

Next Page »

4 May 2020 PSEC Meeting Minutes

May 29, 2020

4 May 2020 Meeting Minutes

PSEC via WebEx due to COVID 19 

4 May 2020 

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE George Bondor SAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle Eugene Brown ASME

Dave Butcher IEEE Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM Sam Gheesling ASME

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting or order at 6:02

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of March meeting minutes

Approved

Around the Room

Each attendee reported that most society activities have been suspended due to COVID 19

Treasurer Report

Dave Butcher reported we are almost at breakeven for the year with a current $900 deficit. Compared to past years the difference is that we need a Banquet sponsor. With our IRS status established, Luis is making inquiries in Boeing to detemine if they are willing to restablish as our Banquet sponsor. Luis will also confirm if Boeing will reimburse to PSEC Boeing employees PSEC volunteer time. 

Website Updates

Dave confirmed our Drop Box capacity has been increased and that our website will be backed up to the Drop Box

Banquet

One society has not paid for table yet and is asking for and invoice. Dave will handle this

Mentor Nights

The 5 Mar 2020 mentor night at North Seattle College was successful with 7 mentors and 22 students

The 14 Apr 2020 mentor night at Highline College was cancelled due to COVID 19

Luis provided the year’s Mentor Night counts summary:

University Date Mentors Students

Seattle U 10/14/19 20 65

Green River 1/15/20 14 133

Seattle Central 1/30/20 15 165

Shoreline 2/19/20 6 20

UW Bothell 2/27/20 18 45

North Seattle 3/5/20 7 21

Highline 4/15/20 Cancelled

ISOW

Due to COVID 19  group discussed the possiblitiy of doing a virtual meeting. Decided that a physical face to face is much more effective. Decided to cancel the Jun 2020 meeting and possibly push it out to Sep 2020

Next years officers

The current Treasurer (Dave Butcher) and Secretary (George Bondor) agreed to continue in that capacity for next year. No official agreement for Chairperson yet.

Adjourned at 6:41

Next Page »

2 Mar 2020 Meeting Minutes

April 30, 2020

2 Mar 2020

PSEC meeting at Razzis

Attendance:

Kathi Shoemake  ASHRAE Sam Ghessling ASME

Andrew Gall          SME Regina Ong IISE

Luis Leon ASM George Bondor SAE

Butcher IEEE

Call to Order:

6:04  Kathi called meeting to order

Approval of Minutes:

February Minutes not yet posted on website 

Around the Room:

Each participant stated their society affiliation and upcoming meeting status

Treasurers Report:

Reviewed with no changes

Calendar:

Reviewed what is currently on the calendar and highlighted the ISOW event in June. Details are forthcoming

Website:

No comments

Engineering Fair:

Discussed a possible date change to 6 Mar 2021. The popsicle bridge competition which draws a large number of high schoolers is changing to that date. We as a group agreed it would be in our best interests to change the Engineering Fair date to 6 Mar 2021. Kathi suggested we create a list of technically related groups/activities aimed at High School and below students and actively promote the Fair to them.

Engineering Banquet:

62 meals served at this years banquet. After discussion agreed that 8 attendees per table is the best configuration. Next years banquet is tentatively scheduled on 13 Feb 2021

PSEC Awards

Agreed that PSEC needs to promote greater participation in nominating potential recipients

Mentor Nights:

Shoreline College:  on 19 Feb  6 mentors/20 students

UW Bothel: on 27 Feb  18 mentors/45 students

North Seattle College: upcoming on 5 Mar  possibly 13 mentors

ISOW: 

Still evolving. More info to come soon

New Topics:

PSEC President plans to attend society Board Meetings to pitch PSEC

Action Item Review:

Shared Storage Unit with ASHRAE  also possibly with Engineers Without Borders. No decision

Boeing sponsorship of Banquet: With our recent IRS status in hand Luis will pursue Boeing

Group voted to expand our dropbox to 1-2 terabytes. This will cost $100 per year

Next meeting:

on 6 Apr 2020

7:15Adjourned 

Next Page »

3 Feb 2020 Meeting Minutes

3 Feb 2020

PSEC meeting at Razzis

Attendance:Kathi Shoemake  ASHRAE

John Schaufelberger    WSPE Seattle

Paul Grant            ASCE Luis Leon ASM

Matt Clegg  SME Dave Butcher IEEE

Sam Ghessling         ASME George Bondor SAE

Andrew Gall          SME Tony Huan-Wong IEEE

Call to Order:

6:12 Kathi called meeting to order

Approval of Minutes:

Both December 2019 and January 2020 minutes were approved 

Around the Room:

Each participant stated their society affiliation and upcoming meeting status

Treasurers Report:

Additional societies have paid dues

The Banquet is paid for

Luis volunteered to pursue Boeing for future Banquet Sponsorship

Calendar:

Verified that following Mentor nights are on or will be added to calendar

19 Feb Shoreline Community College

27 Feb UW Bothel

5 Mar North Seattle College

Website:

Temporary offline today as the ISP transfers us to a different server

Engineering Fair:

Good to go.

Kathi will be at PSEC booth all day and Luis and Andrew will be part time 

Engineering Banquet:

Luis presented status of reservations, table purchases and seating

Dave Butcher said programs are ready to go to printer

John Schaufelberger has the award plaques ready

Sam Ghessling has the scripts ready

Discussed number of people per table seating

Mentor Nights:

Green River College 15 Jan went well with 85 students and 17 mentors

Seattle Cental College 30 Jan went well with 100 students and 15 mentors

ISOW: 

No updates, still on for 6 Jun

Needs to be added to calendar

Next meeting on 2 Mar 2020

Next Page »

November 4th Meeting Minutes

December 2, 2019

November 4th, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Published: December 2nd, 2019
by Luis

PSEC

4 Nov 2019

Razzi’s, Greenwich District, North Seattle

In attendance:

Luis Leon                                ASM

Paul Grant                               ASCE

John Schaufelberger              WSPE-Seattle

Sam Gheesling                       ASME

Charles Beard                         AIAA

Dave Butcher                          IEEE

Virginia Long                         IISE

Call to order:

 by Dave at 6:03pm

Approval of Agenda

November meeting agenda approved

Approval of Minutes

October meeting minutes approved

Around the Room

Each attendee reported on the status of their respective Society upcoming monthly meeting

Treasurers Report

Dave noted that dues were announced approximately October 15th.  $150 came in recently from society members.

Calendar

30 Jan 2020 Seattle Central College Mentor Night set

15 Jan 2020 Green River College Mentor Night tentative

Website updates

Still actively looking for a webmaster

Mentor Nights

14 Oct 2019 Seattle University:  Reported 15 mentors and approximately 50 students.  This was the first mentor night of year and came after last spring’s Seattle University Mentor Night was successfully held after a long hiatus.  This Seattle U event is part of a week-long event including resume and oral workshops.  They plan on holding this mentor night yearly at the same time frame.

30 Jan 2020 Seattle Central College Mentor Night set.  Eventbright will be issued soon for only mentors.

15 Jan 2020 Green River College Mentor Night tentative

Luis and Andrew are in contact with several other colleges. Several are doing “their own” organizing.

Engineering Fair

Beth is willing to lead this activity.

Engineering Banquet

15 Feb 2020 at the Museum of Flight Skyline Room. Sam setup food contracts with McCormick & Schmitz

Keynote speaker: Ms. Susan Everett, WADOT.  Subject: Update on the 99 Tunnel

Awards:  Nominations are due Friday, Dec 13th, 5pm.  Emailed forms already occurred and also available on the PSEC server.

Action Item

John Schaufelberger will establish the ISOW reservation for Saturday, June 6th, 2020

Adjourn

Meeting adjourned at 7:10 pm

Next meeting on 2 Dec 2019

Next Page »

October 7, 2019 Meeting Minutes

November 2, 2019

PSEC

7 Oct 2019

Razzi’s

In attendance:

Kathi Shoemake                     ASHRAE

Luis Leon                                ASM

Andrew Gall                            SME

Paul Grant                               ASCE

George Bondor                       SAE

John Schaufelberger              WSPE-Seattle

Sam Gheesling                       ASME

Charles Beard                         AIAA

Dave Butcher                          IEEE

Call to order:

 by Kathi at 6:01

Approval of Agenda

John Schaufelberger added a discussion of the various lists PSEC publishes

Approval of Minutes

September meeting minutes approved

Around the Room

Each attendee reported on the status of their respective Society upcoming monthly meeting

Treasurers Report

Dave noted the increase to $10K budgeted amount for the Engineers Banquet

Group discussed and suggested removing Societies that have not been active in PSEC for several years

Calendar

Noted Mentor Night at Seattle University next Monday 14 Oct 2019. Volunteers still needed.

Electric Airplane Flyoff at Museum of Flight coming up. Date has not yet been set.

Website updates

Still actively looking for a webmaster

Mentor Nights

14 Oct 2019 Seattle University

30 Jan 2020 Seattle Central College  tentative

Luis and Andrew are in contact with several other colleges. Several are doing “their own” organizing.

Engineering Banquet

15 Feb 2020 at the Museum of Flight Skyline Room. Group gave Sam approval to setup the contract. Sam is actively pursuing a speaker from WSDOT to talk about the new tunnel

Group discussed soliciting sponsors offering three levels of acknowledgement based on sponsorship total. Sam will examine the levels offered in the past.

Action Item Review

Kathi will contact last years Engineering Fair organizer (cancelled due to weather) and recruit for the 2020 Fair

Adjourn

Meeting adjourned at 7:02 pm

Next meeting on 4 Nov 2019

Next Page »

September 9, 2019 Meeting Minutes

September 19, 2019

Puget Sound Engineering Council Meeting Minutes

Razzi’s

Attendees:

  • Charles Beard               AIAA
  • George Bondor             SAE
  • Dave Butcher                IEEE
  • Andrew Gall                  SME
  • Sam Gheesling              ASME
  • Luis Leon                      ASMI
  • John Schaufelberger      WSPE-SE
  • Kathi Shoemake            ASHRAE

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting to order 6:06 pm

Approval of Agenda

Agenda approved unanimously

Approval of Minutes

Minutes from last meeting were not available

Around the Room

Attendees stated their name, society represented and any upcoming societal activities

Treasurer Report

Dave Bucher presented our financial stats and a proposed budget for this coming year. The group discussed items that during last year had differences between budgeted and actual amounts. The only approved change was to up the Annual Banquet budget from $9000 to $10000.

Calendar

The Seattle University Mentors Night was added to the Calendar on 14 Oct 2019

Website Update

Dave Butcher is actively recruiting a Webmaster. He has one individual who might be interested but is concerned about attending our monthly meetings. The group agreed that the webmaster does not need to attend every monthly PSEC meeting and could accomplish most if not all tasks from a remote location.

Mentor Nights

Luis Leon and Andrew Gall are currently handling Mentor Night details

Officer Election/Swearing In

This year’s board was sworn in

  • Kathi Shoemake            President 2019-2020
  • Andrew Gall                  President Elect
  • Dave Butcher                Treasurer
  • George Bondor             Secretary

Action Item Review

Kathi will attempt to pare the list down and organize it.

Adjourn

Meeting was adjourned at 7:01 pm

Next Page »

March 4th, 2019 Meeting Minutes

April 1, 2019

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Agenda
    • Two items added, agenda is approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    • Due to snow, last meeting was held virtually and no minutes were recorded
  4. Around the Room
    • Covered upcoming events
    • How do we all handle email distribution?
      • Mailchimp is a good tool to utilize
  5. Treasurer Report
    • Fair was cancelled – refunds
    • Missing money from Eventbrite, this is being looked in to
      • Do we get fees back from Eventbrite when we cancel?
    • All the money from the tables is taken care of
    • Everyone who had a booth was reimbursed
    • Were there any costs associated with cancelling the fair? Unclear.
    • Do we need an action for someone to report out at the next meeting what the consequences of cancelling the engineering fair was (refunds, details, etc.)
    • Dues: most organizations have paid
  6. Calendar
    1. PSEC Meetings – first Monday of every month
    2. Mentor Nights
      1. March 13th Shoreline
      2. April 10th Bothell
      3. Potentially more to come
    3. No date solidified for ISOW
      1. Looking at dates in June
  7. Website Updates
    1. Added engineers of the year award pages, contains photos and bios
    2. Announcement for the fair cancellation
    3. WordPress software is due for a major update, have been waiting until after the fair and banquet to initiate
      1. Shouldn’t notice any differences
    4. Stan has taken a new position similar to this one in a different organization and its taken a lot of his time so it is his intention to not come back as webmaster for PSEC in the future
      1. Louie: do you know any contacts that might be interested? Stan: No
      2. This should come up as a future agenda item
      3. Stan is happy to facilitate the transition
  8. Engineering Fair Report
    1. Beth is not here and the fair was cancelled
  9. Banquet Report
    1. 61st annual PSEC awards banquet was held in February. All 7 awards handed out that night. 58 people served. Speaker did a good job and stayed within the time limit. Event ended at 9:15, comfortably paced event. Photos are on the dropbox.
  10. Mentor Nights
    1. Upcoming events
      1. See Calendar
    2. Mentor Coordinator
      1. Issues with eventbrites for mentor nights and being able to capture the majors/specialties of mentors. Need to have a new template that we can put nicer pictures on the announcements.
      2. Also looking in to Seattle U and Highline – roughly may timeframe
      3. Justin is interested in taking on the Mentor Coordinator role
      4. 7-10 mentor nights a year, occurring September – June
        1. Different schools have different preferences for dates
        2. Some schools have not held a mentor night for several year, but we would like to restart (Seattle U, UW Bothell
      5. Everett Community College has a mentor night run by their collegiate SWE section
      6. Is there a history/file that documents the past mentor nights we’ve had?
        1. There is currently no file. We are hoping the mentor night coordinator can start taking charge of documentation
      7. The description that was provided sounded like it was more related to communicating with colleges, but what Louie is describing sounds more like managing eventbrites.
        1. The scope is too big for one person to manage, which is why other people become POCs for different schools. The coordinator would manage the volunteers.
      8. Historically, it’s been managed 1 person 1 event. Always end up with return mentors. Different contact lists for each school. Each school is looking for different things.
      9. Justin – make sure  you get access to dropbox and wordpress from Stan
      10. How much can we reimburse for food? $3/head up to $300 max
        1. Dave Butcher is the treasurer
        2. Contacts are not identified on the PSEC site
  11. Membership discussion
    1. How to get nontraditional groups to be members of PSEC? How do we represent them?
    2. The organization of other groups is not clear
    3. What about PMI?
    4. American Society of Plumbing Engineers?
    5. Do we have a statement of membership benefits? What are we communicating to people when we invite them?
    6. Main benefits:
      1. Engineering Awards
      2. Engineering Fair
      3. Mentor Nights
      4. Inter-society trading of knowledge
  12. Regional Science Fair call for judges
    1. Kathi emailed out flyers
    2. Saturday March 16th in Bellevue
    3. Details in the flyer for how to sign up
  13. Action Item Review
  14. Adjourn
Next Page »

December 3rd, 2018 Meeting Minutes

February 18, 2019

  1. Call to Order
    1. Meeting led by Kathy
  2. Approval of Agendas
    1. Kathy Motions to approve
    2. Agenda approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    1. Meetings not available to approve yet
  4. Around the Room
    1. Beth Mendy – planning the engineering fair, here to give updates, represents EWB, chapter meeting on 3rd Tuesday
    2. Marina Dannecker – SWE holiday party and board meeting coming
    3. Charles – Next meeting will be the 3rd Monday in January
    4. Louie with national society of metals, joining meeting this month with AWS to talk about gold mining
    5. Cameron – Transitioning chair of AMSE, having a brewery tour (pike place brewing) instead of traditional dinner meeting in about 2 weeks. Following meeting in January at UW Bothell
    6. Dave Butcher – IEEE had their holiday party, board meeting on Tuesday
    7. Kathy Shoemaker with ASHRAE meeting next Tuesday
    8. Stan – IEEE
    9. Sam Gheesling ASME
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. The dues notice went out, only to those who have paid dues in the past
    2. Planning to send an email out to non active members to request that they “re-engage” rather than pay dues
    3. 4 checks have come in, deposited on Sunday
    4. Dues are based on number of members
  6. Engineering Fair Report
    1. Second Saturday of February, same day as the popsicle bridge competition, at the museum of flight
    2. Registration is open
    3. 2-3 organizations are registered
    4. Not the greatest turnout in the last two years
      1. Contacting school districts to increase turnout
    5. Flyer was sent to the key contacts for each organization
    6. Registration will be also sent out to PSEC reps
    7. Don’t take tallies at the door but do headcounts at each time
    8. Run into difficulties in the past because the fair is free but the museum is not
    9. Need to do something beyond relying on the popsicle event to bring in attendees
    10. All sponsored by societies and not by companies
    11. Goal is to get the word out early so that we do not need to hustle at the last minute
    12. Eventbrite is set up
  7. Calendar
    1. No changes to the calendar
    2. Engineering fair Feb. 9
    3. Banquet Feb. 16
  8. Website Updates
    1. No changes in the last month
    2. One issue with the events calendar, scrolling section wasn’t working because the software used to make calendars was not updated so new software had to be installed on the server, but that came through today 12/3/18. Now it works.
    3. If you see any issues let Stan know.
    4. There is an email list that new people should get onto. We also have a Facebook and twitter account for sharing announcements.
    5. Kathy – I was trying to send an email to Charles with his PSEC email alias and it bounced back
      1. Stan is pretty sure that this email works, so not sure what is causing the issue
    6. For those of you that aren’t aware there is a secretary, treasurer, president, webmaster etc. email accounts
  9. Banquet Update
    1. No difference in price this year for the menu that we used last year – so Sam would like to go ahead with the same menu as last year
      1. Same quantity of appetizers
      2. Everyone is on board.
  • Steak, salmon, vegetarian pasta
  1. Sam: Motion to stick with last year’s menu
    1. Marina Seconds the motion
    2. Motion passes unanimously
  2. February 16
  3. Speaker will be from UW Bothell STEM. 20-40 minutes of speech on the topic of getting students in STEM. Speaker is confirmed.
    1. Should this be 20-30 minutes?
      1. We have always asked for 20-40 minutes
    2. Louie will make Eventbrite – follow the same model as last year
      1. Need to write a CV
    3. Louie and Sam are still pursuing Boeing sponsorship
      1. The contact who did this before retired
      2. Then we lost our nonprofit status
  • We are now a 501c3 – full nonprofit!
  1. Sam has prepared a sponsorship proposal with photos
    1. Cameron: How have we marketed this to companies in the past?
      1. Someone has always had contact with Boeing and Boeing has always sponsored it
      2. Cameron would love to offer up a marketing package
        1. Could be put together by the end of the weekend
        2. Sam will email it to Cameron
      3. Getting the package to companies is another story
    2. Photographer – no updates here. Sam needs to respond to her.
      1. We need to have a clear understanding of how much this will cost
    3. Mentor Nights
      1. Louie has confirmed Seattle Central for January 31st (Thursday)
        1. Will make Eventbrite this week
      2. UW Bothell? Louie will talk to Elaine Scott about organizing this
        1. Cameron has another contact he can share
        2. Would be best to get in touch with the career center
  • It’s been a while (4 years maybe?) since we hosted this event
  1. We would like to have this event in February/march, but probably not until after the banquet
  2. Cameron will reach out to the career center
  1. We don’t have as many people involved in mentor nights as we used to
    1. We talked about this quite a bit last month
  2. Considering shoreline and EvCC for springtime
    1. Who were the focals for these schools?
      1. Steve?
    2. Also north Seattle community college
    3. Kathy to reach out to Jason and Steve to get their contacts at the schools
    4. Kathy has the banner
  3. Action Item Review
    1. Kathy is still working on the non traditional groups list
    2. Stan is still working on inventory list
    3. Kathy is needs to coordinate with Stan to send isow email
    4. Now that we have a mentor night schedules, Stan will create a mentor night report out for the website (how many attendees, school contact, who the mentors were, any notes
      1. Something that is suitable for social media shares is useful – photos maybe?
        1. If you take photos, make sure to put disclaimers that photos will be taken and let the school know that photos of students may be taken
      2. Charles still needs to follow up with Gail Cornelius
        1. Discovery Day?
      3. Charles still needs to send email about mentor night coordinator position
      4. Stan created a standing agenda template
    5. Walk on topics?
      1. Was the brochure on the website updated? No. Sam just opened it.
        1. Do we have copies that we can give out? Dave has lots that he can bring in
      2. Should we include computer science in PSEC?
        1. Yes, this is related to Kathy’s action
        2. We looked at our bylaws last year and there is no change required to add CS societies
  • It would be nice to get more members for mentor nights, and then that would hopefully lead to more attendance overall
  1. Louie would like to see the organization grow to 400+ in 5 years
  2. Maybe we should have a membership focal to handle reaching out to societies
    1. Past President?
  3. Cameron – I am hearing a general theme of lack of engagement
    1. We could pitch to companies to get them to encourage their members to get involved
  4. Many groups pay dues but do not have reps to send to meetings
  1. Adjourn
    1. 7:16 adjourn
Next Page »