Council Meetings

Last Modified: April 28, 2016
by Stan Dyck

PSEC meetings are held monthly on the first Monday of the month from September through June. The September meeting is normally the second Monday since Labor Day also falls on the first Monday. You can always check the PSEC calendar to see the time and location of the next meeting.

Attendees are the Council executive committee and one or two PSEC Representatives from each member society. Member societies are responsible for designating a representative to attend as a voting member.

Agendas for the meeting are posted here roughly a week before the meeting. Make suggestions and corrections in the comments field of the agenda document.

  • Meeting Minutes, March 6, 2017

    Date: Monday, March 6, 2017
    Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
    Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103

    Attendance

    Stan Dyck IEEE
    Dave Butcher IEEE
    Jason Salazar PSEC Volunteer
    John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
    Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
    Art & Jude Moss ASQ
    Steve Snelling IISE
    Katie Elliott SWE
    Kathi Shoemake ASHRE
    Luis Leon ASMI
    Paul Grant ASCE
    Chris Roberdeau AIAA
    John Osborne SAMPE

    Agenda

     

    1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ EventsAll
      • See attendance above
    2. Approval of AgendaAll
    3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
      • Approved as written
    4. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
      • Julie was not in attendance. Dues notices do appear to have gone out.
    5. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
      • The Awards Pages were updated and put out to social media.
      • Site software has been updated to latest and it now much easier to update for the future.
    6. K-12 STEM: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
      • Dave is looking for a coordinator for this. There was some discussion about the requirements for the position. Society representatives are asked to help us look for someone to help us do outreach to educators and students.
    7. Engineering Fair Retrospective: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
      • 800-1000 kids showed up despite the rain
      • A few booths from last year didn’t make it this year. The Microsoft booth was impressive.
      • Beth is going to take over coordination duties from Chris next year.
      • Chris talked with Richard Schilling about helping to get the word out about the event and he had some good ideas about this that should help to improve attendance next year.
      • There was some discussion about a possible conflict with the EngineerIt event at the Pacific Science Center which occurs on or near the same weekend as the Fair. No decision was made to change the date.
    8. BanquetSam Gheesling (ASME)
      • 94 people were served at the banquet this year
      • The keynote went well and everything went fairly smoothly.
      • The pictures are out and Sam agreed to place them in the PSEC dropbox.
      • Feedback is welcome.
    9. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
      1. Review Kenneth Porter award criteria
        • The linked proposed changes to the Porter award criteria were considered and passed. The criteria will now specify that at least 4 years of work in education will be required for consideration.
    10. ISOW: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
      • There is still no co-coordinator. Dave is working on it.
      • The topics list is still under consideration. If you have ideas, talk to Dave.
    11. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (PSEC)
      • The S. Seattle Chemistry faculty is considering holding an event for next Fall. Also, possibly the Bothell event might be held in Fall.
      • We want to encourage more Fall events because that part of the calendar is more open.
      • Jason talked about the goals for the program. He noted that it is much easier for everyone involved if we can get the various colleges that hold events to take the organizational lead leaving us to supply the mentors since every event is quite different
      • It was suggested that mentor nights could be a topic for the ISOW. Jason agreed to head this topic.
    12. Open DiscussionAll
      • Since Mark Powers is currently unable to attend PSEC meetings it was agreed to table his student banquet idea for now.
      • Art is looking for volunteers to help out at the AmCon event in April. Please talk to him if you want to help.
      • Steve encouraged all to attend the UW Discovery Day event on April 22nd
      • Dave will not be able to attend the April meeting (possibly Stan also)
    13. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
      • See below

    Action Items

    • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
    • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
    • Work with existing coordinators to finalize Mentor Night dates [Jason]
    • Ask for volunteers for k-12 STEM coordinator [all]
    • Put banquet photos on Dropbox [Sam]
    • Send banquet feedback to Sam [all]
    • Send out AmCon invite to society members [all]
    • Put trifold design on agenda for April meeting [Stan]

     

Previous Meeting Minutes

Minutes are posted usually within a week after the meeting date.

  • Meeting Minutes, March 6, 2017 March 20, 2017 Date: Monday, March 6, 2017 Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103 Attendance Stan Dyck IEEE Dave Butcher IEEE Jason Salazar PSEC Volunteer John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS Art & Jude Moss ASQ Steve Snelling IISE Katie Elliott SWE Kathi Shoemake ASHRE Luis Leon ASMI Paul Grant ASCE Chris Roberdeau AIAA John Osborne SAMPE Agenda   Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All See attendance above Approval of Agenda: All Approved as written Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: All Approved as written Treasurer’s Report: Julie Bennett (SWE) Julie was not ...
  • Meeting Minutes, February 6, 2017 February 7, 2017 The meeting at Razzi’s was cancelled due to weather but Chris set up a conference call to discuss the Banquet this Saturday.
  • January 9, 2017 Meeting Minutes January 16, 2017 The first meeting of the year is also the last meeting before the Engineers Fair. Preparations are finalized but volunteers are still appreciated. The Banquet plans are also being finalized and we need volunteer mentors.
  • December 5, 2016 Meeting Minutes December 13, 2016 The weather kept many away this month but we still got a full list of agenda items.
  • November 7, 2016 Meeting Minutes November 21, 2016 The second Council meeting of the year includes a visit and presentation from the folks at SAME. Also, if you have young members looking to help we are looking for help at the ISOW for this summer.
  • October 3, 2016 Meeting Minutes October 18, 2016 The October minutes include a report from Mark about the Student Banquet proposal, Nomination forms for the Awards Banquet are ready, and an interesting event put on by AIAA in November. Please have a look.
  • September 12, 2016 Meeting Minutes September 19, 2016 The minutes for the first meeting of the year have been posted. Dave presents his goals for the year, Mark Powers introduces us to the Portland Student Banquet and John tells us it’s not too early to start thinking about nominations for the PSEC Awards. Special thanks to Steve for writing up the minutes in ...
  • June 6, 2016 Meeting Minutes June 20, 2016 The minutes for the final meeting of the program year.
  • May 2, 2016 Meeting Minutes May 10, 2016 Posted minutes from the second to last meeting of the 2015-2016 program year includes reports for the three remaining Mentor Nights, the last pre-ISOW report and the first nominations committee report. Please check the Action Items and prepare to report on them at the June meeting.
  • April 4, 2016 Meeting Minutes April 14, 2016 Meeting Minutes Date:  Monday Apr 04 Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103 Attendance Stan Dyck IEEE Chris Roberdeau AIAA Paul Grant ASCE Art & Jude Moss ASQ John Schaufelberger WSPE Luis Leon ASMI Steve Snelling IIE Sam Gheesling ASME George Bondor SAE Dave Butcher IEEE Meeting Agenda Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All See attendance above Approval of Agenda: All Agenda approved (motion by John, seconded by Chris) Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: All Minutes ...

Comments are disabled for this post.