Upcoming Events and Announcements – Follow links below to volunteer.
For information on additional local engineering activities in our region please see our Education page and our Events Calendar.
Recent Posts for Mentor Night Events
- Engineering Mentor Night at SU | Student Center | Oct 14 Monday | 5-7pm September 10, 2019
When: Monday, October 14, 2019 – 5:00 PM -7:00PM, check-in at 4:30PM
Where: Seattle University Student Center 160 (see map below)
As part of Seattle University’s Engineering & Tech Takeover week, SME and PSEC have arranged a Mentor Night for students.
Sign up to be a Mentor by clicking HEREContinue reading →
- 2019 Seattle University, PSEC Engineering Mentor Night April 4, 2019
SU Campion Ballroom
When: Tuesday, May 14th, 2019, 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Seattle University (SU) is hosting an engineering mentor night for their students on Tuesday, May 14th from 6 to 8 pm and they are particularly seeking mentors in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer and Civil Engineering. The event will be hosted in the SU Campion Ballroom.
The event will see the students rotate among tables with the mentors for discussions. To facilitate the discussions, mentors are asked to bring a sample of work (reports, photos, drawings, etc.) to help the students better understand what they might do in different disciplines of engineering.
Mentors will be sent final details, directions, campus map and parking passes a week prior to the event. Thank you for volunteering and giving your time and talent to encourage our next generation of engineers! For questions please contact Andrew Gall, the PSEC SU Mentor Night Volunteer Coordinator at: Andrew.Gall@PACCAR.com.
Continue reading →
Seeking Additional PSEC Mentor Night Volunteer Coordinators
The Puget Sound Engineering Council (PSEC) is seeking additional Mentor Night Volunteer Coordinators for our annual Mentor Nights program either as a back-up or as a future coordinator for an event that you would like to support. Our current Mentor Night Coordinators are Paul Grant, Luis Leon, and Harry Ehlers who help support mentor event requests from multiple Universities and Colleges in our region.
The primary role of a Mentor Coordinator is to be a point contact for the volunteers from the multiple local engineering societies. This role is not limited to member societies current officers or to a representative to PSEC but anyone who has enjoyed volunteering at the multi-society Mentor Nights. This is an opportunity for one (or more) events in the year – primarily conducted by email.
We have documented guidelines, tools, and support for you to help with these instructional and successful events. This is an opportunity to support our local Universities and Colleges and the mentoring events we help to organize.
Please contact the PSEC President at president
Purpose of PSEC Mentor Night Supported Events
The purpose of PSEC Mentor Nights hosted at participating colleges and universities is to give engineering students (freshmen through seniors, & occasionally high school students) an opportunity to ask questions in person from a variety of practicing engineers, engineering alumni, and faculty about the wide spectrum of engineering disciplines, professions, career pathways, continuing education post-graduation, professional registration considerations, responsibilities, and ethics over food and refreshments.
Description of PSEC Mentor Night Supported Events
PSEC co-sponsors and/or co-organizes Mentor Night events with participating universities and colleges locally by seeking volunteers to support their event. All or a portion of the event at the college includes mentor tables identified by the mentor volunteer’s name, engineering discipline and/or profession. Mentors usually bring some physical examples of their work or something to help focus the student’s attention and discussions. They may also have a presentation or engineering drawings to show, a paper handout to give the students, information about their company internships, societies events and/or scholarship information. Examples of exemplary printed handouts created by two different Mentor volunteers can be found here: Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering.
Depending on the event planned, the participation can range from 10 to 50 volunteer Mentors, with 20 to 150 students attending. Mentors are comprised of practicing engineers from a wide spectrum of disciplines and industries for discussions in a “speed date” format with college and sometimes high school students. The goal is to have no more than five students are talking to a single Mentor at once, which on a busy night becomes almost a mini-presentation, with some individual questions being answered. Past mentor nights have had students rotate between mentor to mentor freely or have designated someone to prompt rotations every fifteen minutes over the course of two hours. There are no expectations to have an ongoing or follow-up mentoring relationship with any student unless both parties desire it.
- Meet professional engineers
- Explore opportunities in engineering
- Get advice from professionals
- Learn more about employment in engineering
The events are coordinated between a representative from the college and a PSEC Mentor Night Volunteer Coordinator. The college organizes the room reservation, food, AV, signage, parking, and coordinates student attendance, and may also coordinate Mentor volunteers through their dean, faculty, alumni, and/or other external organizations that support the college’s efforts like PSEC. The PSEC Coordinator works with the college to determine the date, time & location of their event. They determine how many students are forecasted to attend, the number of Mentors needed, and which engineering disciplines are requested to best support a given event. The PSEC Mentor Night Coordinators work with the college to invite volunteers from last years event, and they send new volunteer requests to the PSEC member socities representatives to share the volunteer request with their memberships as applicable. PSEC Mentor Coordinators work with the college to help configure an online Mentor volunteer registration, and the event is displayed on the PSEC website and social media with the links to the volunteer registration included.
Current and Past Announcements for Mentor Night Events
- Engineering Mentor Night at SU | Student Center | Oct 14 Monday | 5-7pm September 10, 2019 When: Monday, October 14, 2019 – 5:00 PM -7:00PM, check-in at 4:30PM Where: Seattle University Student Center 160 (see map below) As part of Seattle University’s Engineering & Tech Takeover week, SME and PSEC have arranged a Mentor Night for students. Sign up to be a Mentor by clicking HERE
- 2019 Seattle University, PSEC Engineering Mentor Night April 4, 2019 SU Campion Ballroom When: Tuesday, May 14th, 2019, 6:00pm – 8:00pm Where: Campion Ballroom, Seattle University Mentor Registration Here Seattle University (SU) is hosting an engineering mentor night for their students on Tuesday, May 14th from 6 to 8 pm and they are particularly seeking mentors in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer and Civil Engineering. The event will be hosted in ...
- Shoreline Mentor Night for February 6th, 2019 has been postponed February 6, 2019 The College is closed due to the weather so we are cancelling the Mentor Night scheduled for tonight. We will work with Shoreline College to reschedule for some time in March or April. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Highline Mentor Night Event, May 22nd May 9, 2018 Our friends at Highline College are hosting our latest (and last of the program year) Mentor Night. If you are an engineering student there it is a good way to meet and network with local engineers. If you are a local engineer the PSEC is always looking for volunteer mentors to spend an evening with the ...
- Shoreline College Mentor Night March 17, 2018 Our friends at Shoreline Community College have announced their engineering Mentor Night will be held on April 25th at 5:30 to 8:00. If you would like to spend some time answering questions for some engineering students please consider registering on their eventbrite registration page.
- Dinner with Industry at Everett Community College March 13, 2018 Natalie Salazar, a student at Everett Community College and member of the SWE student chapter writes in to inform us of a Mentor Night volunteer opportunity:
- Olympic College Mentor Night on April 17 March 12, 2018 Roseann Berg, Directory of Math, Engineering and Science Achievement (MESA) at Olympic College writes in to tell us about a Mentor Night event they are holding in Bremerton in April. The Olympic College MESA program is hosting an Engineering Mentor Night for Olympic College, Tacoma Community College and WSU undergraduate students on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 from ...
- Seattle Central College Mentor Night, January 25th January 11, 2018 The Puget Sound Engineering Council (PSEC) together with Seattle Central College (SCC) will be holding its Mentor Night on Thursday, January 25th, 2018 from 6:00 – 8:00pm. Please sign-up soon to get an accurate count of mentors.
- Seattle Central College Mentor Night Volunteers Needed November 22, 2017 Seattle Central College Mentor Night is January 25th. Please consider volunteering as a mentor or, if you are a student, signing up as a participant.
- 2016-2017 PSEC Mentor Night Program and Regional Educational Events Schedule October 3, 2017 2016-2017 PSEC Mentor Night Program and Regional Educational Events Schedule: Mon, October 24, 2016 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM Mentor Night Seattle Pacific University Sat, January 21, 2017 (day event) Future Cities Competition Thu, January 26, 2017 from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM University of Washington Engineering Exploration ...