- Professional Engineer of the Year, 2019
John H. Clark, P. E., S. E.
2019 Award Recipient
Nominated by the Structural Engineers Association of Washington and the American Society of Civil Engineers
John H. Clark, P.E., S.E., has been selected as the recipient of the 2019 Professional Engineer of the Year Award for his lifetime achievement and innovation in bridge design and advocacy of cost-effective designs that protect public safety. He was employed by Arvid Grant and Associates from 1963 to 1978; by Anderson, Bjornstad, Kane, Jacobs of Seattle from 19679 to 1997; and as an independent consultant from 1997 to 2017. He is now retired.
Throughout his distinguished career, he as been involved in the design of many significant bridges and in value engineering studies that examined the bridge designs of others. Notable examples of his achievements include serving as a bridge specialist for the consulting team charged with investigating the 1990 sinking of the Lacey V. Morrow floating bridge on I-90, serving as an independent review consultant for the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge across the Colorado River between Nevada and Arizona, serving as a design consultant for the West Seattle Freeway High Level Bridge, and serving as a design consultant on the seismic retrofit of the I-5 Ship Canal Bridge.
He was responsible for the structural design for the first major concrete cable-stayed bridge in North America across the Columbia River at Pasco, Washington. The 2,500-foot long bridge is composed of precast post-tensioned cable-stayed elements and cast-in-place box girder approach spans. He also led the design of the West Seattle Freeway Low Level Swing Bridge. The movable spans of this double leaf swing bridge are post-tensioned concrete box girders constructed segmentally. Each moveable leaf weighs 7,500 tons and is raised and moved hydraulically.Continue reading →
- Nominee is a professional engineer.
- Has made significant contributions in the application of engineering to meeting community needs.
- Has significantly advanced the art of engineering.
- Has actively participated in community affairs and technical societies.
- 2018 – David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E., Reid Middleton, Inc.
- 2017 – Mark D’Amato, P.E., S.E., DCI Engineers
- 2016 – Vladimir Shepsis, PhD, PE Coast and Harbor Engineering, Inc.
- 2015 – Ron Klemencic, PE, SE – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2014 – Robert F. Mast, P.E., S.E. – Berger ABM
- 2013 – Harvey W. Parker, Ph. D., P. E., D. GE. – Harvey Parker & Associates, Inc.
- 2012 – John V. Christiansen, P. E. – Skilling and Helle
- 2011 – John Tawresey, S.E., P.E. – KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2010 – Raymond Walton, PhD, P.E., D.WRE – WEST Consultants
- 2009 – Neil A. Norman, P.E., FNSPE
- 2008 – John D. Hooper, P.E., S.E. – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2007 – Alan Werner PE
- 2006 – W. Paul Grant PE – PanGEO
- 2005 – Don Northey, PE – TranSystems
- 2004 – Nancy E Duevel PE – Brown & Caldwell
- 2003 – Jon D. Magnusson PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson
- 2002 – Roger C. Young PE – ELCON Associates
- 2001 – Edwin T. Huston PE – Smith-Houston
- 2000 – Milton A. Tiede PE – The Boeing Company
- 1999 – Robert N. Parnell PE – R N Parnell Company
- 1998 – Robert W. Walker PE – The Boeing Company
- 1997 – Wally F. Urbick PE – The Boeing Company
- 1996 – Theodore O. Wright PE – The Boeing Company
- 1995 – Kenneth W. Porter PE – Pulse Turbine Ltd.
- 1994 – Roy Avent PE – Louis Warner Co.
- 1993 – Anne Symonds PE – Anne Symonds & Associates
- 1992 – Noel Ralph Adams PE – AHBL Inc.
- 1991 – William D. Ward PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson, Barkshire
- 1990 – Ark G. Chin PE-Kramer, Chin & Mayo
- 1989 – Thomas J. Martin PE – The Boeing Company
- 1988 – Paul C. Juhasz PE – Wash. State Energy Off., retired
- 1987 – Marie Ann Huff PE – Chute Engineering
- 1986 – Ernest F. Dodge PE – URS Corporation
- 1985 – Kenneth L. McGowan PE – McGowan Broz Engineer
- 1984 – Jack F. Eisenhawer PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1983 – G. W. Van Wierenger PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1983 – M. Delles PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1982 – Luke Zankich PE – Marine Power & Equipment
- 1981 – Robert Bergseth PE – University of Washington
- 1980 – Arthur B. Sirjord PE – The Richardson Associates
- 1979 – Martin J. Boivin PE – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- 1978 – Arvid Grant PE – Arvid Grant & Associates, Inc
- 1977 – Thomas E. Sparling PE – Sparling & Associates, Inc
- 1976 – John Stuart Miller PE – Thompson, Miller & Lyons
- 1975 – Lawrence M. Baugh PE – Baugh Construction Co.
- 1974 – Frederic L.S. Salinger PE – Port of Seattle
- 1973 – Charles V. (Tom) Gibbs PE – Metro
- 1972 – Cecil L. Browder PE – Cecil L. Browder & Associates
- 1971 – Phillip F. Spaulding PE – Phillip Spaulding & Associates
- 1970 – Lincoln Bouillon PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1969 – Daniel J. Evans PE – Governor & U.S. Senator