- Professional Engineer of the Year, 2018
David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E., Reid Middleton, Inc.
2018 Award Recipient
Nominated by the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Structural Engineers Association of Washington
David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E., Reid Middleton, Inc., has been selected as the recipient of the 2018 Professional Engineer of the Year Award for his commitment to promoting professional engineering excellence and innovation, mentorship of younger engineers, promotion of public safety, and ongoing work to advance the engineering profession. He designs and manages projects for clients in the aviation, civil, commercial, educational, healthcare and military sectors. His expertise lies in improving our infrastructure’s seismic resilience and promoting earthquake preparedness and response to seismic risk. He excels at communicating the need for ongoing seismic resilience to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. His energy, drive, and enthusiasm for addressing seismic risk have led to his personal and professional success.
He represents engineers nationally as a member of the Disaster Response and Recovery Committee of the American Society of Civil Engineers and serves on FEMA’s Urban Search and Rescue Washington Task Force as a structural engineer evaluating collapsed buildings for urban search and rescue operations. He has organized and led earthquake response and reconnaissance teams to research lessons learned from devastating earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan (1995), Taiwan (1999), China (2008), Chile (2010), Haiti (2010), New Zealand (2011), Japan (2011) and Mexico (2017). This experience has enabled him to design innovative seismic protection systems for both historic and modern structures.
Throughout his career, he has been actively involved as a consulting structural engineer. He is a sought-after peer reviewer, code consultant, analysis reviewer, and technical speaker on structural and earthquake engineering. He has authored over 25 technical papers on seismic and structural design, earthquake risk reduction, emergency preparedness, and the seismic rehabilitation of historic and essential buildings and infrastructure.Continue reading →
- Nominee is a professional engineer.
- Has made significant contributions in the application of engineering to meeting community needs.
- Has significantly advanced the art of engineering.
- Has actively participated in community affairs and technical societies.
- 2107 – Mark D’Amato, P.E., S.E., DCI Engineers
- 2016 – Vladimir Shepsis, PhD, PE Coast and Harbor Engineering, Inc.
- 2015 – Ron Klemencic, PE, SE – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2014 – Robert F. Mast, P.E., S.E. – Berger ABM
- 2013 – Harvey W. Parker, Ph. D., P. E., D. GE. – Harvey Parker & Associates, Inc.
- 2012 – John V. Christiansen, P. E. – Skilling and Helle
- 2011 – John Tawresey, S.E., P.E. – KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2010 – Raymond Walton, PhD, P.E., D.WRE – WEST Consultants
- 2009 – Neil A. Norman, P.E., FNSPE
- 2008 – John D. Hooper, P.E., S.E. – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2007 – Alan Werner PE
- 2006 – W. Paul Grant PE – PanGEO
- 2005 – Don Northey, PE – TranSystems
- 2004 – Nancy E Duevel PE – Brown & Caldwell
- 2003 – Jon D. Magnusson PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson
- 2002 – Roger C. Young PE – ELCON Associates
- 2001 – Edwin T. Huston PE – Smith-Houston
- 2000 – Milton A. Tiede PE – The Boeing Company
- 1999 – Robert N. Parnell PE – R N Parnell Company
- 1998 – Robert W. Walker PE – The Boeing Company
- 1997 – Wally F. Urbick PE – The Boeing Company
- 1996 – Theodore O. Wright PE – The Boeing Company
- 1995 – Kenneth W. Porter PE – Pulse Turbine Ltd.
- 1994 – Roy Avent PE – Louis Warner Co.
- 1993 – Anne Symonds PE – Anne Symonds & Associates
- 1992 – Noel Ralph Adams PE – AHBL Inc.
- 1991 – William D. Ward PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson, Barkshire
- 1990 – Ark G. Chin PE-Kramer, Chin & Mayo
- 1989 – Thomas J. Martin PE – The Boeing Company
- 1988 – Paul C. Juhasz PE – Wash. State Energy Off., retired
- 1987 – Marie Ann Huff PE – Chute Engineering
- 1986 – Ernest F. Dodge PE – URS Corporation
- 1985 – Kenneth L. McGowan PE – McGowan Broz Engineer
- 1984 – Jack F. Eisenhawer PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1983 – G. W. Van Wierenger PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1983 – M. Delles PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1982 – Luke Zankich PE – Marine Power & Equipment
- 1981 – Robert Bergseth PE – University of Washington
- 1980 – Arthur B. Sirjord PE – The Richardson Associates
- 1979 – Martin J. Boivin PE – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- 1978 – Arvid Grant PE – Arvid Grant & Associates, Inc
- 1977 – Thomas E. Sparling PE – Sparling & Associates, Inc
- 1976 – John Stuart Miller PE – Thompson, Miller & Lyons
- 1975 – Lawrence M. Baugh PE – Baugh Construction Co.
- 1974 – Frederic L.S. Salinger PE – Port of Seattle
- 1973 – Charles V. (Tom) Gibbs PE – Metro
- 1972 – Cecil L. Browder PE – Cecil L. Browder & Associates
- 1971 – Phillip F. Spaulding PE – Phillip Spaulding & Associates
- 1970 – Lincoln Bouillon PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1969 – Daniel J. Evans PE – Governor & U.S. Senator