- Young Engineer of the Year Award, 2019
Abdur Rehman, P. E., Puget Sound Energy
2019 Award Recipient
Nominated by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Abdur Rehman, P.E., Puget Sound Energy (PSE) has been selected as the recipient of the 2019 Young Engineer of the Year Award in recognition of his work as a relay engineer and supervisor and his outstanding service in multiple leadership positions in the Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
An active leader with rich power systems engineering design and field experience, he is widely recognized for his passion for sharing his knowledge. As the supervisor of Substation Meter-Relay Operations for PSE, he leads a team of 14 field personnel responsible for commissioning, troubleshooting, and maintaining intelligent electronic devices in PSE’s service territory. He also works with external customers with interconnected generation assets. Some are wastewater treatment plants that capture methane gas, convert to electric energy, and use it power their own plant while connected to the PSE grid. During major power outages, he helps to restore the electric grid as the Deputy Operations Section Chief at PSE’s Emergency Coordination Center.
He enjoys sharing his knowledge by developing power system video tutorials and uploading them to Youtube. He founded GeneralPAC.com in 2014 which has over 11,500 subscribers who are students and professionals. The channel has over 2.8 million minutes watched since its inception. With thousands of likes, positive comments, and shares from nearly every major country in the world, he plans to develop more power system video tutorials.
He supports the IEEE Seattle Section as chair of the Young Professional Affinity Group and organizer of the IEEE Pacific Northwest Young Professional Conference that hosts young professionals from across the United States and Canada.Continue reading →
- The nominee must be under 35 years of age, between three and six years past the date of graduation, with a baccalaureate degree in Engineering, and must be a member of one of the Puget Sound Engineering Council member societies.
- The nominee should show professional society participation such as serving as a committee member or officer, or providing support at society meetings or conferences.
- The nominee should show progress in professional experience and attainments, and show progress towards or show registration as a professional engineer.
- 2018 – Grace Lefebure, The Boeing Company
- 2017 – Don Nguyen, P.E, COWI North America
- 2016 – Kimberly Hinson, The Boeing Company
- 2015 – Cal Bearman, PE – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- 2014 – Courtney Davis, P.E. – KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2013 – Zohrah Saidy, P. E. – HDR Engineering
- 2012 – Kimberly Hicks -The Boeing Company
- 2011 – Danielle Vardaro – The Boeing Company
- 2010 – Melissa Wu, P.E. – CH2M HILL
- 2009 – Kelly Griswold – The Boeing Company
- 2008 – Eric S. Herzstein, P.E. – Parsons Transportation Group
- 2007 – Erin Fletcher, P.E. – HDR Engineering
- 2006 – Doug Knapp EIT – US Army Corps of Engineers
- 2005 – Mary Holland PE – Rose Water Engr. and Jenna McGrath, PE – Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
- 2004 – Cheryl Burwell PE – Magnusson Klemensic
- 2003 – Ann Eppler PE – Hammond Collier Wade
- 2002 – Brook A. Maples PE – KPFF
- 2001 – James McSpadden Ph.D. – The Boeing Company
- 2000 – Robb A. Dibble EIT – DCI Engineers
- 1999 – Scot Bartkoske PE – ELCON Associates
- 1997 – Nancy H. Devine PE – Anne Symonds & Assoc.
- 1996 – Douglas E. Chapelle – The Boeing Company